In 1899 the Opunake Town Board held discussions with engineers regarding the potential for an electricity supply for Opunake.
In 1903 a consulting engineer made a further report on the possibilities of the Waiaua scheme.
In 1904 tenders were received to install an appropriate plant, but the matter postponed. The issue of electricity supply was again raised in 1907.
A decade later consulting engineers drew up a scheme for the Town Board, a loan of £7,000 was raised and building started.
It was then decided that a larger area than just Opunake could be supplied with electricity, and the Power Board was formed in 1921. This time a loan of £70,000 was raised by a poll of ratepayers of the Power Board area, which went from the Oeo Road in the south to the Mototi Stream in the north.
In December 1923 the area from the Mototi Stream to Puniho Road was added to the district and a loan of £22,000 was raised to cover it.
The scheme has been operating ever since. In 2009 Opunake Hydro Limited purchased the scheme. In 2016 OHL sold the scheme to Opunake Power Limited and continues to market its output.